How to Improve Passing Skills in Volleyball
Having strong passing skills is crucial for the game of volleyball. It’s fair to say that the success of a volleyball team depends a lot on passing. It’s worth noting that a good pass leads to successful receiving and serving the ball during the game. Obviously, great passing is a key to completing a successful attack hit in the sport of volleyball.
A big advantage of volleyball passing is that it gives setters some time that’s needed to find one of attackers available on the court. There is no question that those volleyball players who want to succeed in passing should focus their efforts on developing volleyball passing skills.
Actually, there are many effective strategies and techniques that can aid athletes in improving volleyball passing skills. In this blog, we would like to share some insights into volleyball passing and give readers some tips on how to improve passing skills in volleyball dramatically.
What Is Important for Great Passing in Volleyball
There is no doubt that those volleyball players who are responsible for passing should be able to react and move on the court quickly during the game. That means they need to learn how to relax and feel comfortable on the court. Additionally, such players must have the ability to track the ball carefully during the volleyball game. When it comes to volleyball passing, it’s crucial for athletes to know that a team should also be able to develop a rhythm to its passing and offense. These are key ingredients to successful passing in the sport of volleyball. Below, we’d like to provide readers with techniques and tips for improving volleyball passing skills.
Volleyball Passing Drills
If you would like to improve your volleyball passing skills, then obviously you need to do volleyball passing drills on a regular basis. Now, we are going to share a few volleyball drills to help athletes improve their individual and team passing skills significantly.
Basket passing drill. Doing this drill consistently has a huge positive impact on passing accuracy. Keep in mind that four players (1 server as well as 3 passers) and the basket are required for practicing basket passing drill.
First of all, 3 passers should create a line. At the beginning of the drill a setter should serve the ball. When serving the ball, the server should do his/her best to make it easy for passers to pass the ball. In other words, servers must be very accurate. Afterwards, a passer needs to make an accurate pass and do his/her best to hit the basket.
Pipeline passing. Oftentimes, people find it hard to take the correct passing position especially when they are tired. However, doing pipeline passing drill helps resolve this problem. What is great about pipeline passing drill is that it helps athletes improve lateral movement speed and make an accurate volleyball pass even if they are tired. Pipeline passing drill is also recommended for conditioning.
Two passers are required for doing the drill. Volleyball players should stay about 10 feet apart. During pipeline passing drill players pass the ball to each other. After the 1-st player makes a pass to the 2-nd player he/she has to go right, touch the sideline and then return back before the 2-nd player makes the pass. The drill has to be done 10 times. Afterwards, the player has to go left after making passes to his partner. When doing this drill it’s very important for players to take passing position quickly.
Shuffle steps. This volleyball drill is usually done by volleyball beginners. The primary goal of Shuffle steps drill is to help athletes control their body successfully during the game of volleyball. The drill is done by two players.
Initially, the 1-st player (tosser) tosses the ball at the 2-nd player (passer). Now, the 2-nd player needs to pass it back. Afterwards, the 1-st player throws the ball high at least 10 feet away from the 2-nd player. The task of the 2-nd player is to get to the ball and not let it land on the court. Moreover, it’s important for the passer to move without crossing their feet when trying to get to the ball.
Toss catch drill. The primary goal of this drill is to help volleyball players develop basic passing skills. Toss catch drill is done to teach volleyball players how to take the proper body position and use legs correctly when making a pass.
Two players are required for doing this drill. The 1-st player will practise passing skills and the 2-nd player is going to be an assistant. Responsibilities of the 2-nd player include only catching the ball and throwing it back to the 1-st player.
Actually, this volleyball drill is very easy to do. The 1-st player has to make a pass to the 2-nd player. It’s incredibly important for the 1-st player to make accurate passes. Moreover, the 1-st player should do his/her best to make passes correctly.
Tips on How to Improve Passing Skills in Volleyball
It goes without saying that doing volleyball passing skills on the regular basis will help you develop passing skills successfully. On the other hand, you should also follow some volleyball passing tips. Here are a few tips to help you take your volleyball passing skills to the next level.
– It’s essential for volleyball players to know that not only arms should be used to make a good pass in volleyball. Athletes need to use the power of legs and hips as well. By doing so, they can increase their chance of making a successful volleyball pass dramatically.
– Athletes should also be light on their feet. This helps take an appropriate position easily and make a volleyball pass successfully.
– On the other hand, volleyball players should pay a close attention to their movements. They should do their best to avoid bouncing up and down when moving on the court. This helps athletes focus on the ball during the game and, therefore, has a huge positive impact on the quality of a volleyball pass. That means that it’s a good idea for volleyball players to focus on strengthening eccentric quadriceps during their training.
– It’s important to note that athletes should be able to get ready for making a pass. If you are finding that you’ll need to make a pass soon then you should extend your arms, turn your hands down at the wrists and lock your elbows. By doing this, you’ll manage to form a stable platform and prepare for making a pass properly.
– Volleyball pass preparation involves taking the correct body position as well. When getting ready to making a good volleyball pass you need to make your feet shoulder apart. Make sure that one foot slightly in front of the other. Keep your knees flexed and concentrate your body’s weight on the balls of the feet. Your shoulders should be under the knees.
– Of course, you need to keep a close eye on the ball when it’s going to your arms. However, you shouldn’t move your head when tracking the ball. It would be better for you to move your eyes in order to track the ball when it’s going to your arms.
– Keep in mind that height of the pass matters. Actually, coaches recommend their players to pass to the same height during the game of volleyball. The reality is that passing to the same height all the time helps athletes develop a rhythm during the game successfully that’s incredibly important for the team success.
– You need to know that communicating should be a key part of making a good pass in volleyball. Obviously, athletes should understand each other properly. In other words, it’s best for athletes to discuss who are going to be primary passers and who will receive passes during the game. You should also discuss how players should call the ball for their passes.
– It’s important to point out that volleyball passers may need to deal with hard driven balls during the game. That means that learning how to absorb the contact of hard driven balls is the necessity. Obviously, passers should be able to relax their shoulders quickly. Therefore, mastering the techniques of relaxing the shoulders needs to be a part of volleyball player’s training program.
– As previously mentioned, a passer should be able to track the ball carefully during the game all the time. After the ball comes to your side of the court it’s crucial for you to see where the ball goes after a server contacts it. When tracking the ball you need to predict where the ball is likely to land. Of course, you need to approach to this place as soon as possible.
– The reality is that some volleyball players choose to swing their arms to make a volleyball pass. However, it’s a huge mistake. Remember you always need to make a volleyball pass with your shoulders.
Obviously, volleyball players have to make huge efforts to take their passing skills to the next level. However, the most important thing is that athletes need to practise volleyball passing drills on regular basis. That means that consistency is a key to improving passing skills in volleyball!