Tips for a Successful Volleyball Game
The success of a volleyball team depends a lot on how athletes are prepared for the game. So, it’s crucial for volleyball players to be well-prepared for the game. Actually, there are many things that volleyball players can do to improve their performance on the court significantly. Today, we would like to provide you with some tips for a successful volleyball game. We’ll tell you things that volleyball players need to do before and during the game to achieve the best possible results.
Tips to Follow Before a Volleyball Game
It would be better for volleyball players to start preparing for games beforehand. Obviously, the sooner athletes begin to prepare for volleyball matches – the better. It would be better for volleyball players to take advantage of the so called off-season to get ready for matches and tournaments. Below, we would like to provide you with the tips that you need to follow to prepare for a volleyball game in the best possible way.
- Prepare for a volleyball game physically. Obviously, volleyball players must be well-prepared for the game both mentally and physically. An athlete must be able to perform well on the court for a long period of time. That means that strength and endurance training needs to be a key part of a volleyball team’s physical preparation program. While preparing for the match physically athletes should also aim to improve their volleyball skills dramatically. It also makes a lot of sense for athletes to practise volleyball team drills for defense and offence.
- Prepare for a volleyball game mentally. Mental preparation for a volleyball match involves studying the opponents, predicting the game, learning how to stay focused during the game, achieving relaxation and more. Athletes should also visualize before volleyball matches. Mental imagery is something that helps volleyball players prepare for a match mentally.
- Analyze the opposing team’ players carefully prior to a volleyball match. It’s incredibly important for you to study your opponent carefully prior to important volleyball matches. It’s a good idea for volleyball players and coaches to watch the matches of the opposing team together. This type of activity gives athletes an exciting opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of their opponent and prepare for the match mentally in the best possible way.
- Create a game plan. Volleyball players should be able to think ahead and predict the game successfully. After studying the opponent carefully the next thing that a volleyball team has to do is to develop a game plan. However, things don’t always go as planned. That’s the reason why a volleyball team should also have a plan B. So, volleyball players will know what they need to do if their main plan doesn’t work.
- Visualize before volleyball matches. It’s important to know that mental imagery offers a lot of great benefits to volleyball players of all skill levels. First and foremost, visualization makes it possible for volleyball players to improve their skills (serving, setting, digging, blocking and attacking). Another big advantage is that visualization allows athletes to achieve relaxation and reduce stress levels dramatically prior to volleyball matches. Mental imagery allows volleyball players to improve their performance on the court. When visualizing the game an athlete should imagine himself/herself, his/her teammates as well as the opposing team. It’s recommended for a volleyball player to visualize 20 – 30 minutes before matches.
Tips to Follow During a Volleyball Game
The success of a volleyball team is not all about mental and physical preparation. Keep in mind that the game of volleyball requires a lot of focus and attention. In other words, you need to watch the game carefully. Above all, you need to communicate with your teammates and coaches successfully on the court. Below, we’ll give you some tips that volleyball players need to follow during a volleyball game.
- Watch the ball carefully during the game. It goes without saying that you should constantly keep an eye on the ball during a volleyball match. By doing so, you’ll be able to predict the game and plan your actions in advance. So, you’ll be able to react to the game successfully when such a need arises.
- Watch the opponents carefully during the game. There is no doubt that you need to analyze the opposing team during the match carefully. By doing this, you’ll be able to predict the game and plan your actions accordingly. It’s common knowledge that the rally of volleyball always begins with a serve. That means that volleyball players need to analyze the opposing team’s server first.
Are you a blocker? If so, you need to pay a close attention to the opposing team’s setter and hitters while watching the game of volleyball. This will allow you to see how your opponents are planning the attack. Let’s assume that an opposing team’s setter has already set a ball to an opposing team’s hitter. It’s the beginning of an attack. Now, it’s time for you to switch a focus from an opposing team’s setter to an attacker. Your job is to predict where the ball is likely to land on your side of the court after the opposing team’s attacker carries out an attack hit. As a result, you’ll be able to take the correct position on the court in advance, get to the ball quickly and resist an opponent’s attack hit successfully.
Are you an attacker? If this is the case, you need to watch the opposing team’s blockers carefully all the time. Obviously, you should do everything possible to find the holes in the opposing team’s defense. So, you will be able to carry out a successful attack hit when a moment comes and earn additional points for your volleyball team.
- Watch your teammates carefully during the game. On the other hand, you need to watch each of your teammates carefully during the match. It’s clear that you’ll be able to make a successful pass if you know where each of your team’s volleyball players is located on the court.
Let’s assume that you are a defensive volleyball player. If this is the case, you may need to dig the ball anytime. However, it’s incredibly important for you to send a ball in the right direction after digging it. And of course, you should always aim to pass a ball to your team’s setter. That means that your team’s setter should be always under your watch.
Are you a setter? In this case, you need to set a ball in the right way. Your main task is to make it easy for your team’s attacker to carry out an accurate and powerful attack hit. Obviously, you need to know where your team’s hitters are positioned on the court. That’s why you should always watch your team’s attackers on the court during the game. Once the moment comes, you’ll be able to set the ball to one of your team’s heaters. If you set the ball correctly, then an attacker will find it easy to carry out a successful attack hit.
- Communicate with your teammates successfully. Your volleyball team is unlikely to achieve a great success if its players can’t communicate with each other successfully on the court. So, it’s very important for volleyball players to communicate with coaches and each of his/her teammates in the right way. The job of the head coach is to create the supportive environment where every volleyball player will feel comfortable. In other words, volleyball athletes should be able to communicate with each other successfully before, during and after games/practices. Volleyball athletes should work closely together and respect each other all the time. It’s a good idea for athletes to watch volleyball games and analyze the mistakes carefully. Volleyball players should also develop a game plan together. Plus, volleyball players need to understand each other on the court. Obviously, athletes have to support each other during volleyball games and practices. Effective communication is something that helps volleyball players overcome various challenges that they face along the way and leads a volleyball team to success.
Thank you so much for reading this article. We have just explained to you what volleyball players need to achieve better performance. Follow our tips to improve your game, play smart volleyball and defeat your opponents. Best of luck!