An attacker is a very important player in a volleyball team. The attacker’s job is to spike a ball effectively and get scores for his/her team. On the one hand, an attacker should aim to spike a ball as hard as he/she can. Hitting a ball harder obviously makes it difficult for the opposing team’s defensive players to resist your attack. On the other hand, a hitter should spike a ball accurately and do his/her best to hit the target. If you are thinking of becoming a good offensive volleyball player then you should definitely focus on mastering spiking skills. In this blog, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about spiking in volleyball.
Volleyball Spiking Rules
Let’s get started with volleyball spiking rules. So, if you would like to become an effective hitter then you obviously need to familiarize yourself with volleyball spiking rules. Below, we’ll explain to you what volleyball rules say about spiking.
- First and foremost, you should know what a volleyball spike is. Actually, a volleyball spike is all about directing a volleyball towards the opponent’s side of the court.
- A player can tip a ball during a volleyball spike only if it is hit cleanly (a ball doesn’t have to be caught or thrown).
- A volleyball spike is completed when the ball crosses the net and lands on the opposite side ofthe court (or touched by one of the opposing team’s players).
- A volleyball spike can be completed by either a back row player or front row player.
- A back-row player is not permitted to carry out a volleyball spike within the front zone.
- It’s not allowed for a libero to carry out a volleyball spike.
- A volleyball player is permitted to land within the front zone after a volleyball spike.
- It’s not allowed for volleyball players to complete a volleyball spike within the playing space of the opposing team.
- If a ball goes out after a volleyball spike that means that a volleyball player has committed a fault.
How to Spike a Ball Correctly
We have just described the basic rules of volleyball spiking. Now, it’s time for you to figure out how to spike a ball the right way. It’s important to know that there are different types of volleyball spikes including hard-driven spike, off-speed spike, open-handed tip as well as standing spike. Below, we’ll provide you with general tips for spiking a ball correctly.
- An attacker should watch the game carefully all the time. Plus, a hitter should try to predict where he/she is likely to carry out a volleyball spike.
- A hitter should also prepare his/her body for a volleyball spike. You should shift your body weight to the ball. Let’s assume that the ball is to your left. In this case, you should shift your body weight to the left.
- An attacker should position himself/herself correctly on the court. The distance between a hitter and net has to be 5 – 6 feet.
- A hitter should be able to select the right moment for a volleyball spike. First of all, a hitter should approach to the net. If you are a right-handed person then you should take a large step forward with your left foot. However, if you are a left-handed person then you should take a large step forward with your right foot. Then, you need to bend your knees. By doing so, a hitter will be able to get ready for a jump.
- A hitter should carry out a volleyball spike when it has approached the top of its flight. When the moment to carry out a volleyball spike is getting closer an attacker needs to jump off the ground. An attacker should try to jump as high as it’s possible. When jumping off the ground a hitter should bring his/her right arm back behind his/her body. In addition, a hitter should keep his/her palm open.
- Lastly, a hitter should swing his/her arm forward. It’s crucial for a hitter to be very fast. After a volleyball spike a ball should go downward. In addition, a ball should go away from blockers of the opposing team. A volleyball player has to spike the ball with his/her hand. A ball should contact the ball where the base of thumb meets a wrist. When carrying out a volleyball spike a hitter needs to bring his/her hitting arm down. After that, a hitter needs to land on the ground and continue to watch the game.
How to Spike a Ball Harder
We have just explained to you how to spike a ball the right way. However, you should also aim to spike a ball hard with power. Actually, you should spike a ball as hard as you can. Below, you’ll be able to find two volleyball hitting drills that you need to do consistently to spike a ball much harder.
Wall spikes. It’s a great idea for an attacker to practise such an exercise as wall spikes. What is great about this type of exercise is that it’s easy to do. Initially, you need to stand in front of the wall holding the ball in your hand. Make sure that the distance between you and a wall is about 10 feet. Now, it’s time for you to spike a ball to the wall. After a volleyball spike a ball will bounce from the floor. So, you’ll have an opportunity to spike a ball again. It’s worth noting that wall spikes give hitters a good chance to master their spiking skills. However, the most important thing is that you’ll be able to spike a ball much harder if you do this exercise on a regular basis.
Repetitive hitting. It’s another good exercise that helps hitters spike a ball harder. Without a doubt, you’ll be able to hit a ball much harder over time if you practise repetitive hitting on a regular basis. It’s worth noting that approach, jump and timing are 3 key ingredients for a successful volleyball spike. That’s why you need to pay a close attention to these 3 important aspects when practicing repetitive hitting exercise. You should always try to carry out a
volleyball spike in the right way. Constantly work hard to improve your vertical jump. And of course, as a hitter you must be able to select the right moment for carrying out a volleyball spike. You’ll never find it hard to do repetitive hitting exercise. First of all, you need to position yourself on the court and hold a ball in your hand. Ask someone (a coach or other player) to set or toss the ball for you. Your job is to carry out a volleyball spike and land the ball on the opposite side of the court successfully. You can also put the target on the opposite side of the court. In this case, you should try to hit the target each time you are carrying out a volleyball spike. Repeat spiking a ball again and again. As a result, you’ll be able to spike a ball more precisely over time.
Remember, learning a spiking skill is no easy task. That means that it may take you a long time to master your spiking skills and develop your own spiking style. So, you should do repetitive hitting on a regular basis to improve your volleyball spiking skills. That’s the reason why practicing a volleyball spike needs to be a key part of a volleyball attacker’s training program.
Secrets to Becoming a Better Volleyball Spiker
It’s crucial for you to know that mastering volleyball hitting skills is not enough to be a good spiker. There are strategies that allow volleyball attackers to achieve better results. Here are a few tips to help you become a better spiker and do great job on the court.
Obviously, a volleyball attacker should try to work better than the opposing team’s blockers to win a score. And of course, the opposing team’s blockers will do everything they can to make it difficult for you to carry out a volleyball spike. Your objective is to find holes in the opponent’s defence. So, as a hitter you should constantly watch the opposing team’s blockers.
It’s incredibly important for you to be a smart and unpredictable attacker. Obviously, you should definitely try to diversify your hitting strategy. Mixing up your shots will certainly make it harder for the opposing team’s blockers to resist your attack hit. It’s a great idea for a hitter to spike a ball to different parts of the court. As a result, the opposing team’s blockers will find it hard to resist your attack.
Thank you so much for reading our article. We’ve just told you everything you need to know about volleyball spiking. So, you know what it takes to be a good spiker in volleyball. Now, it’s time for you to practise volleyball spiking technique. Sooner or later, you’ll be able to develop your own spiking style. Remember, success doesn’t happen overnight! So, it may take you some time to see results. Follow our tips to improve your volleyball spiking skills. Good luck!